Yet every new puppy owner jumps onto puppy training, and worse, puppy training classes.
If you really want to book classes for your puppy(?) book nothing but classes for socialization:
- Because that's what you need other dogs and other people for.
- While puppy training, this you better learn to do yourself: for best results.
Again: If your chosen "puppy class" is about "puppy training" then it's wrong:
- they copy what everyone is doing!
- they haven't given it thought: What does the puppy need MOST and FIRST!
"But puppy training too!"
Actually: NO. Socialization is the BEST training by far. While ordinary "puppy training" you can do anytime later.
Puppy Training must cover full indoor training and full outdoor training:
- Indoor training is not just housebreaking and crate training, but all House Training such that your dog behaves well in the house - with free run of the house, and even while you are away!
- Outdoor training is not just leash training, but all training such that your dog behaves well off-leash too - this includes coming when you call, not scavenging at public bins, not chasing cats, dogs, cyclists, cars or motorbikes, etc.
We have MYGERMANSHEPHERD PERIODICALS on all types of training: both outdoor training and indoor training. And you are lucky: You may subscribe for free today if you haven't yet.
But what if you arrived here looking for puppy training because you are facing some puppy behavior problems right now?
In that case you may not want to wait for all the Periodicals that show you how to train your puppy to the best. Or instead you may want to check out the massive, well-structured text book Puppy Development Guide - Puppy 101: The Secrets to Puppy Training without Force, Fear, and Fuss.
And if you don't like to read text books?
Then maybe you like to watch how Tim Carter raises, socializes, and trains a German Shepherd puppy? And dog health and dog care you can watch too!
For details see the LIVE and MULTIMEDIA New Puppy Diary.
Note that every key point raised above you can find more comprehensively explained in other places on this website. The menu is your friend. Here, links have been omitted only to keep this decision tree straightforward.
PLEASE NOTE: Posting a fragment of your overall dog problem in the comments below is not going to help. Provide complete details if you really seek the right solution. Of course we have a page for that as well: Help With Dog.
If ever you appreciate the immense work to maintain this uniquely helpful house, feel free to donate a meal.
As .ORG we depend on your (rare!) donations: however small it helps, THANKS SO MUCH!
PLEASE SHARE with your circle what we share with you:
Any problem with the social share buttons, just say it loud enough that My German Shepherd hears you.