Question concerning German Shepherd Dog Food
"What type of food is best for GSD?"
Spelling has been corrected to suffice search engine requirements!
In your own best interest read this to the end, and then comment, even though you may instantly feel "this isn't for me". It is exactly for you.
Thank you, this is easy to answer - though the answer may not be what you expect, or indeed what you want to hear:
Feed ONLY NATURAL HOMEMADE food to your dog. A long(!) healthy dog food list is here, just scroll down a bit!
Want less? For my Evergreen standard recipe for simple, quick, cheap, healthy, nutritious, homemade dog food see here.
Want more? For dog food cost see this detailed dog food cost analysis. For everything about healthy dog food simply click through all the links here in the New Puppy Diary Index (this requires login though).
"WHAT?? I want links to the best dog food that I can BUY, I don't want to prepare my own food for my dog!!", I hear you screaming (maybe).
Well, although we do have a few suggestions of the better commercial dog foods here, I strongly advise all dog owners to only feed healthy homemade food.
NOW THINK: We could easily raise the urgently needed money to keep the lights on for this site(!!) if we made you buy commercial dog food, like all the other websites do!
And yet we don't. I couldn't sleep well if I gave you links to products that I know are bad for your dog. I would feel like I helped killing your dog if I were to recommend commercial dog food. Hence why under my regime MYGERMANSHEPHERD.ORG don't. And if we have to turn the lights off! I rather leave, but with my conscience clear.
I know you need dog food every day, because your dog is hungry every day. And I understand you want convenience, because you have "not enough time to cook!" for your dog. As said, Feed ONLY NATURAL HOMEMADE food to your dog may not be what you want to hear, but have you heard this?
Find out more: Click to save vet cost, training cost, and your nerves!
So it seems I better first draw the BIGGER picture why dog owners feed what they feed. This will help you enormously to understand why I reply what I reply.
- Likely you have noticed from countless sources, both offline and online - veterinary sites and non-veterinarian sites - that ALL of them recommend to feed your dog a specific (or not so specific) commercial dog food.
- Ever given it a thought WHY that is so?
- This is because it's what people want to hear. They want to know what their chosen dog food brand is like, and if maybe there is one that their dog likes more and that also is "better"?
- Dog food brand, yes. Sophisticated "Public Relations" campaigns of the pet food industry have since about the 1950ies systematically trained dog owners up and down the country (any country) to believe that commercial dog food is the only dog food that you should feed your dog.
- Also, the pet food industry learned to produce and package their products in such way that makes them most convenient to feed. Hey, with dry kibble you don't even need to clean the bowl, right?
"Give people what they want, and you make loads of money!"
All those sites with commercial dog food recommendations make loads of money - because, hey, dogs need to eat every day! And so when they recommend a commercial dog food and explain why, many people will buy it. And when they later recommend another one, many people will buy that. All the more if it's considered to be cheaper than others. Better even, if it's "a bargain".
The largest site that gives people what they want, here commercial dog food recommendations, has become dogfoodadvisor.com, a simple site (concept, design, programming) that is hugely successful. It makes its owner more money in a year than you and your kids together make in a lifetime. Because people always go back to the site to make repeat purchases of commercial dog food - because ... hey, dogs need to eat every day! Right.
So why do we link to the website although MYGERMANSHEPHERD.ORG does not follow the crowd and recommends commercial dog food?
We link to the site because we always link to everything we discuss. It's for your convenience, it saves you time no matter what.
And why do we not recommend commercial dog food? Because we don't give people what they want.
"Give people what they need, and accept to get ignored."
We give people what they need in order to have a healthy and well-behaved German Shepherd Dog. What you need for your dog. And that is certainly NOT commercial dog food.
This is why MYGERMANSHEPHERD.ORG struggles so much to fund itself: It is hard to raise money for this site's good cause when you purposefully deny people what they want to buy! And every day, because dogs are hungry every day.
Those readers who read consciously what I write in books, on the site, and in the MYGERMANSHEPHERD PERIODICAL (seemingly only a couple do, else there would be way more comments!!), those readers know perfectly well why I am so much against commercial dog food. Why MYGERMANSHEPHERD.ORG does not follow the crowd. Why we don't give you commercial dog food recommendations - and so why we don't make sustainable income for the site.
Did you just think loudly "Why not?" because you haven't read anything from myself? - GOOD! "WHY" is the single best question to ask in life - ask it all the time!
So let's repeat, ultra-brief: Why no commercial dog food recommendations from MYGERMANSHEPHERD.ORG?
- Commercial dog foods are the waste products from rendering plants!
- Before commercial dog food is sold to unsuspecting dog owners, the paste (really) that exits the rendering machines gets artificially "fortified" in chemical laboratories to add synthetic proteins, vitamins, enzymes etc in order to pass ad hoc inspections of "nutrient" content.
- What remains in the paste: heavy metals, toxins, styrofoam, plastic wrap, etc. From videos like the one below you know that complete animals are thrown into the rendering plant, with insecticide ear tags, identification tags, etc all still attached, medicaments from treatment and euthanizing still in the body, and the packaging of unsold meat no one separates either.
This step of the rendering process is affectionately called "The Grinder"
(shown is an old style Grinder, newer plants avoid the cost of employing the lift truck operator: Animals are dumped from the delivery truck straight into the Grinder below - which now is much larger, these can "handle" several animals at once)
Commercial pet food is no food, it is a lethal mix of waste products and toxins. Exceptions to this rule are very few, so better remember the rule.
Obviously your dog won't die "on contact" or straight after eating it. But take note* that this kind of toxic pet "food" triggers disorders and diseases like Cancer, Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), Gastroenteritis, Pancreatitis, Arthritis, Panosteitis, Infections, Allergies, Posterior Paralysis, Epilepsy, Immune System Disorders, etc!
* To take note, on our site you simply highlight the text (if your mobile device let's you) and then click your preferred notebook (facebook, twitter, google+, or linkedin). Try it now on the bold text above "Commercial pet food is no food..."
All these dog health problems cost dog owners like you a LOT of money over time. This is why our Top veterinarian nutritionist said above:
Find out more: Click to save vet cost, training cost, and your nerves!
Subject to your dog's general health, the dog may eat commercial dog food every day and yet for years not show signs of ill health. And then suddenly it strikes! What we eat is a trigger, remember - particularly if it's no real food!
Only few dogs show signs of ill health quickly (within just a month, or less). But then you are lucky: You know immediately that what you feed the dog is bad for the dog. So you will change your habit, and feeding better food will save you a LOT of money going forward.
In short: Commercial dog "food" weakens the immune system and so causes countless disorders and diseases over time - while healthy homemade food strengthens the immune system.
This is why MYGERMANSHEPHERD.ORG does not recommend commercial dog food but healthy homemade food. And we seem to be the ONLY site that has your best interest at heart: This is why we give you what you need, not what you want. Sorry.
Convinced, but you still require convenience, and to "save time"?
No problem. This does both: a multi-tier steamer does MAGIC in the kitchen: It gifts you TIME, and taste, and health. And your dog too!
Now you've read all this, but you won't change your habit just yet. Do you know what the secret to personal development is? To write things down, for yourself and for others! Sharing your experiences with others is kind of a self-control: You report, you reflect. Others respond, you reflect. This is how we improve! Nothing improves without sharing.
Be honest with yourself for 10 seconds every day: Write down what you feed your dog, and WHY. Just that. 10 seconds. Every day. From today. Share it here with others, as your self-control and encouragement. Or just to socialize.
To help you further, I've prepared a Dog Feeding Helper for you, click to download, it's usable with the free OpenOffice, no MS Excel required. Make your first entry right now, and scroll down to the comment box to share your experience with others.
Can you give back a bit today?