Let's take a closer look at the food components that your dog and you could eat if you don't want to buy processed foods, "ready meals", sweets and "treats".
What about meat?
Meat from healthy1 animals or labs2 is the only nutritionally complete food
Because only meat contains all the fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals - and in the right proportions - that we and our dogs need to stay alive and healthy
Moreover, only meat provides all of these nutrients in bioavailable form
In fact, all the fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals in meat are the easiest forms to absorb - both for us and for our dogs
Three essential vitamins even exist only in meat, not in plant foods at all: Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin K2
Meat does not contain cellulose, phytates, tannins etc that are in plant foods and curb digestibility and/or bioavailability.3
Meat does not contain natural toxic chemicals like sulforaphanes, glycoalkaloids, and lectins that are in plant foods and that can interfere with the immune system
Meat is the only food that our and the dog's digestive system can efficiently digest using our own natural enzymes
Meaning, when we eat pure meat, there is no need for intestinal bacteria to ferment the food, and thus no intestinal gas is being produced (fermentation complements digestion)
Meat is naturally low in carbohydrates, meaning it is impossible to experience an insulin spike in the blood from eating meat
Newest research shows that the saturated fats and cholesterol in meat actually aren't harmful but vital to health.
Part of the chemicals that our intestinal bacteria cannot ferment exits our body with urine and stool, the other chemicals are being absorbed into tissue cells and bones throughout life!
Dogs anyway don't ferment food like we do: food passes dogs' digestive system in about half the time.
Therefore meat contaminations like antibiotics, steroids, and growth hormones accumulate in the dog's body much faster: Because it is unlikely that dogs secrete significantly more meat contaminants with urine and stool, hence more of that must accumulate in the body.
This may contribute to the fact that our modern domesticated dogs that are subjected to these contaminations die at so much younger age, despite no longer having natural predators.
2 Indeed, meat can now be grown in labs! And some companies already are eager to have customers taste-test their lab creations.
And so in some years you will be able to buy packages of meat cell cultures to grow your own meat at home.
3 Both cooking and fermentation were developed by our ancestors to improve digestibility - and thus bioavailability! - of foods that they found out were otherwise difficult to digest.
The above perfectly leads us to the Bad of eating and feeding the dog meat:
Livestock in the modern food chain must be kept alive and "healthy" by all means to safeguard profit margins, and so large parts of the "profession" believe that antibiotics, steroids, and growth hormones must be provided in the food at regular intervals "as prophylaxis"
And so lobbyists in the farming industry have achieved that a certain level of contamination with antibiotics, steroids, and growth hormones in meat has become the legally accepted norm (take your time to digest that!)
That's why in the dairy cow inspection chart on the right it says "drugs in amounts over the legal limit"
Further, similar to the breeding stock of unscrupulous dog breeders, farmers part of the modern food chain do not retire livestock that is sick but call in the veterinarian to inject further medication with the goal to keep the livestock "productive"
And antibiotics, steroids, and growth hormones are routinely given with the food anyway, saving the expense of calling the veterinarian
Processed meat then gets further injections: not just harmless water to increase weight sold, but harmful preservatives to increase shelf life up to a week for "fresh" meat when chilled at 7 C / 44 F.
And yet, there's even more to it:
- Cows and sheep that are solely raised to get you a steak or filet on the plate no longer feed on their natural diet outdoors (grasses), but are being fed husks and mill sweep mixed with animal by-product waste from rendering plants.
- Chickens that are solely raised to get you chicken breast or chicken wings or chicken legs on the plate no longer feed on their natural diet outdoors (grasses, insects, and worms), but also are being fed husks and mill sweep mixed with animal by-product waste from rendering plants.
- Turkeys that are solely raised to get you turkey breast or filet or the stuffed Thanksgiving meal on the plate no longer feed on their natural diet outdoors (grasses, insects, seeds, and small animals), but are being fed the same cheap rendering plant waste products like chickens.
- Ducks and Geese that are solely raised to get you a filling Sunday meal on the plate no longer feed on their natural diet outdoors (fish, grass, algae, insects, fruits, and nuts), but are being fed cheap rendering plant waste products not very different to what chickens and turkeys get.
- Pigs that are solely raised to get you pork filet or pork chunks or pork hash on the plate no longer feed on their natural diet outdoors (grasses, root vegetables, fruits, nuts, insects, worms, and small animals), but are also being fed cheap rendering plant waste products.
- Finally, Fish species raised in fish farms solely to get you some farmed salmon, smoked salmon, canned tuna, tinned herring or whatever on the plate no longer feed on their natural diet in the water (algae, plankton, and smaller fish), but are being fed mill sweep and flour and worse.
As you can guess, none of this is a healthy diet for any livestock.
If you are now wondering how on earth your diet or your dog's diet can be healthy under these circumstances, then you understood the problem of the modern food chain! That sets you apart:
Many food scientists, veterinarians, farmers, lobbyists, bureaucrats and politicians don't understand the problem of the modern food chain - else they would combine their powers to STOP this disaster for humanity.
What's for dinner?
If ever you appreciate the immense work to maintain this uniquely helpful house, feel free to donate a meal.
As .ORG we depend on your (rare!) donations: however small it helps, THANKS SO MUCH!
PLEASE SHARE with your circle what we share with you:
Any problem with the social share buttons, PLEASE say here to help everyone.